Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Take Advantage

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self esteem first, and the house later.
I'd fingerpaint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less and know to care more.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I'd model less about the love of power,
And more about the power of love.

by Diane Loomans

I read this poem on my friend Courtney's blog, and it's a poem I want to read and remember for years to come. As we come into this new year, 2012, I want to take advantage of every single day I have with my little Livy. I have some personal goals of things I want to do better in my life. But I also have some Mommy goals, and this poem pretty much sums it up. 

- Teach Livy how to pray
- Read the stories of the Book of Mormon together
- Have "Art" time at least once a week (hopefully everyday as she gets older!)
- Have "Music" time at least once a week (ditto above)
- Go on some kind of adventure every week (museum, duck pond, hike, zoo, etc.)
- Give her hugs and kisses and tell her I love her every single day 
- Be more patient and remember that she is still learning
- Take swimming lessons together
- Teach her to be polite (say please and thank you...)
- Learn to share (especially as she goes into Nursery at church in April...woot woot!)
- Try to always provide good and healthy meals for my growing girl
- Try to document her life the best I can (pictures and journal)

That list will have to do for now. Last year was the year of the newborn, and here's the year of the toddler! 

Love you Livy Jean!
 

1 comment:

Diana said...

I love this poem Becca, good find! Such a good reminder!