Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ode to all mothers

Since graduation I've turned into a part-time mother substitute (as much as that is possible). I watched my two neices and nephew for 3 days, then my other 2 neices for 12 days, and now I'm watching Ryan's cousin's 4 kids for 6 days. I have learned so much from this experience, here are a few things to name a few:

No one can replace your own mom.
No one can do things the way your mom does it.
It's ok to sit down and watch a movie, at least for the mom's sake.
Sweeping the floor for the 7th time that day isn't necessarily a bad thing.
When you finally get to sleep, take adavantage of every moment because the kids will be super-charged by morning, and they won't ever stop.
Don't breathe when changing diapers.
Become an expert in multi-tasking, and doing things one handed, because there always seems to be something in one hand (a child, a bottle, the broom, a backpack, lunch, you get the point).
Find a good book or some kind of hobby that you can enjoy doing when they finally go down for a nap.
Drive in the car, go on walks, the kids are strapped in and you don't have to chase them :)
Give kids options, they like to choose and not to be told what to do.
Everyone needs to be loved.

And the biggest thing I learned is that being a mom is tough work! So to all of you mothers, I don't know how you do it, but you don't get enough credit, you're all so absolutely amazing!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Haha! I love this. I've experienced everything you said....except for multiple kids. I just have the one so far. So true to the hobby thing though. I spend my naps (Paxton's naps) cleaning/organizing, making jewelry, scrapbooking, reading, or just sitting and watching TV because I finally CAN. : ) And that's when I usually update the blog too and stuff. Being a mother is certainly busy and can be challenging at times, but it is so so great. How fun for you!

perdue family said...

"Dont breath when changing diapers" HAHA. good point there. Ill keep that in mind. Cute post Becca. And thanks for the tips. :)

Sue Jackson said...

From someone who got to watch you firsthand go through two of these tending experiences, I thought you were amazing and did such a great job!!! Always cheerful, always patient. You are going to make an awesome mother and we are excited for when this happens in the future!
We love you!

Angela said...

haha, this post is cracking me up. The question is should you let the wet cheerios just dry on the ground before you sweep, or pick them all up first get a cloth wipe up the milk and then sweep....oh life is so hard. You'll be a great mama! And can I order one of those wreaths? really cute.